CAIR New Jersey is accepting Fall 2022 applicants!
As an organization, we believe that the best way to secure a better future for all of us is to empower young Americans with the skills they need to make a difference. There is no better teacher than experience. Interns at CAIR New Jersey’s office in South Plainfield, NJ work on substantive projects that lay the foundation for a fair and more inclusive America. They develop professional skills, gain insight into the societal impact of public service, and can work with our departments so they might holistically understand the daily operations of a non-profit civil rights organization.
Why join CAIR New Jersey?
CAIR New Jersey has a wide array of projects and activities catering to the needs of the Muslim community and will empower you to make a difference! Opportunities are available throughout the year for all students to apply–full-time or part-time, undergraduate or graduate, and all majors. Interns can earn academic credit or community service hours, or simply enrich their experience and insight to advocacy and civil rights efforts.
To be considered an applicant must submit a complete application form on this web page which includes the following documents:
- A cover letter (1 page) that specifies the position(s) and session (i.e., winter-spring, or summer-fall) you are applying for, as well as your interests and qualifications. Applicants are welcome to apply for more than one position if they wish;
- A resume that lists your most relevant and updated profile and contact information;
- Samples of your work.
- Writing sample: This could be a drafted legal document, press release, blog, or previously submitted essay or writing assignment you’ve written that reflects civil rights and advocacy issues as they pertain to CAIR New Jersey scope. If none of the above are available, an original essay will also be considered. [maximum length: 5 pages; if longer, please select an excerpt].
Academic credit and community service hours
Interns may receive academic credit or community service hours if arrangements are made between CAIR New Jersey and the intern’s school. It is the student’s responsibility to research the requirements, work with the supervising director to tailor the internship, and ensure that appropriate forms are completed if they wish to receive academic credits from their respective institutions.
Stipends are offered to interns to cover the cost of travel to and from the office. Additionally, we are always happy to assist with securing funding through your academic institution or other third-party programs.
CAIR New Jersey’s internship program is open throughout the year and we accept applications on a rolling basis. Considering college academic calendars, each session generally runs between the following months, though this may be adjusted depending on your availability:
- Winter/Spring: January – June
- Summer/Fall: July – December
Due to the high volume of applicants, it is recommended that you send in your application as soon as possible.
Part-time interns are expected to come in between 2 days a week to fulfill approximately 14 hours per week. The office is available between the hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays.
- Sophomore status (or greater) at an accredited university
- Enthusiastic, optimistic, focused, and motivated
- Detail-oriented and creative; self-starter and can work under minimum supervision
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, analytical and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Friendly and outgoing (comfortable speaking in public)
- Demonstrates the ability to follow through on various on-going and newly assigned tasks
- Experience interacting with the Muslim community
- Must be passionate about community engagement
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Must be willing to work 14 hours per week around intern’s schedule.
- In person
Questions or concerns
For general inquiries, email or call our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 668-5900.